I was urged by many users of Comment Rating to create a widget displaying Comment Rating results along with the comments on sidebars. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I chose to build the widget upon Krischan Jodies’ popular and stable “Get Recent Comment” widget. All the features of “Get Recent Comment” remain as is. The “Comment Rating Widget” plugin will track the most recent release “Get Recent Comment”.
This plugin is an add on to the Comment Rating plugin (version 2.9.0 or later). It displays ratings along with the most recent comments in the sidebar in formats of your design. The comment rating and images on display can be “Likes only”, “Dislikes only”, or Both. This is customizable by the “Value for comment_karma” option in Comment Rating.
The Pro version of the plugin can display comments ordered by their Comment Rating in the last X days. If you’re interested, please donate to get Comment Rating Widget Pro.
The plugin also comes with an internal cache to reduce performance impact on page loading.
If the Comment Rating plugin is not present, this plug in will function exactly as “Get Recent Comment”.
The following is Krischan Jodies’ description of Get Recent Comment.
This plugin shows excerpts of the latest comments and/or trackbacks in your sidebar. You have comprehensive control about their appearance. This ranges from the number of comments, the length of the excerpts up to the html layout. You can let the plugin order the comments by the orresponding post, or simply order them by date. The plugin can (optionally) separate the trackbacks/pingbacks from the comments. It can ignore comments to certain categories, and it offers support for gravatars. It only gives extra work to the database, when actually a new comment arrived. You can filter out unwanted pingbacks, which originate from your own blog. And it is a widget.
- The Pro version allows ordering by Comment Rating in the last X days on a sidebar. If you’re interested, please donate to get Comment Rating Widget Pro.
- Highly configurable via WordPress admin interface.
- Adjustable layout by macros.
- Handles trackbacks and comments in separate lists, or in one combined list.
- Widget support
- Caches the output
- Order comments by date, or by posting
- Support for Gravatars
- Option to exclude comments to posts in certain categories
- Doesn’t show pingbacks originating from own blog
- After download the plug in, you can upload and install it from WordPress Dashboard -> Plugins -> Add New. Alternatively, you can unpack and upload the dir with files to the wp-content/plugins folder on your blog.
- Activate the plugin.
- You also need to install Comment Rating plugin version 2.9.0 or later. If the Comment Rating plugin is not present, this plug in will function exactly as “Get Recent Comment”.
- Now you need to add the widget to your sidebar. Go to Appearance -> Widgets and drag the “Comment Rating Widget” the desired sidebar.
- You can configure the options under Setting -> Comment Rating Widget. The default options should be good enough.
- The comment rating and images on display can be “Likes only”, “Dislikes only”, or Both. This is customizable by the “Value for comment_karma” option in Comment Rating (under Advanced Option).